Anyone can start a conversation with a customer using the Five Question Technique! Here's how it works:
Step 1: Think of five questions you might use to initiate a conversation with a customer about themselves or their needs. Here are some examples:
- A waiter might ask, "Have you been here before?"
- A call center agent might ask, "How's the weather where you are today?"
- A retail associate might ask, "Are you trying to find something in particular?"
- A hotel associate might ask, "How is your stay so far?"
- A parking lot attendant might ask, "Do you work here or are you just visiting today?"
Step 2: Use one of your five questions to engage a customer in a conversation whenever it's appropriate.
That's it! The key to this technique is having the questions prepared ahead of time so you are always ready for a little small talk that might lead to big service.